Saturday, July 27, 2019

The End Of Mad Magazine



One thing I'm going to miss is Mad Magazine. Perhaps you've heard, While Mad will officially continue publication, they won't be publishing anything new except once or twice a year on holidays and special occasions, like Life Magazine and a few others.
        One of my favorites is Mad's Chinese Menu: chinese menu parody | I like to make copies of this menu and when I go into shops that have other merchant's pamphlets, I add one of these.
As a stamp collector, I also loved their stamp collecting parody book, Mad's Talking Stamps. Check out these out takes: Mad's Talking Stamps | Stamp Bears. I would love to make my own version of that book!
Unfortunately, I just knew it had to die when it was adopted by DC Comics, the same company that makes Batman & Superman and started to accept ads. How could it possibly continue to parody corporate America when it was accepting ads from them? It certainly wouldn't, quite literally, give us the middle finger (again), any more than Archie Bunker, in that reproduction of that All In The Family episode, would say the word, nigger, out loud, as Archie originally did.  



No comments:

Post a Comment